Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Grrr, Poopy Gay Wars

As soon as the Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage was a national institution, all sorts of "it's not enough" posts popped up among the more liberal corners of my social media. At first, I was puzzled. Wasn't this the goal? Won't everything else sort itself out? Maybe.

I'm going to reproduce a microcosm of the kinds of negativity that the visibility of gay people can provoke. Mind you, this doesn't have anything to do with marginalizing or persecuting religious people. It's just people getting pissed off that gay people might simply appear in things they like. This story begins with Mark Hamill, the Luke Skywalker actor, giving a pretty generalized response to the question, "Is Luke Gay?"

“I’d say [Luke's sexuality] is meant to be interpreted by the viewer,” Hamill said. “If you think Luke is gay, of course he is. You should not be ashamed of it. Judge Luke by his character, not by who he loves.”

The reactions to Hamill's relatively benign statement are galling:


  • "Please don't ruin Star Wars more."
  • "Boycott Disney NOW."
  • "Why are these 'people' and I use this term loosely...ruining everything I grew up looking up to and respecting as a kid?"
  • "...the homosexual mental disorder is spawned by Satan."
  • "homosexuality is a disease and ruined rainbows for me."
  • "Between this and Marvel's constant push for diversity retconning characters into having new sexual preferences and races and genders, I'm quite done with everything Disney is touching."
My existence is a disorder spawned by Satan? If I were a character in a story, would that "ruin it" for you? I'm not even fully a person to you? It takes all types, but one wishes it didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment