- Use a comma between the dialogue and the tag line
- Periods and commas go inside the quotation marks in American writing
- When a tag line interrupts a sentence, it should be set off by commas.
- To signal a quotation within a quotation, use single quotes
- For interior dialogue, italics are appropriate, just be consistent.
- If a quotation spills out over more than one paragraph, don't use end quotes at the close of the first paragraph. Use them only when a character is done speaking.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
The messier details of dialogue punctuation and capitalization annoy me. An Ask.com article clears up some of the fog with these six rules: